Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most schools are unable to take field trips. We have decided to offer a safe outdoor field trip opportunity for families! We are excited to announce that we will be offering Family Field Trips starting in September.
A FIELD TRIP FOR YOUR FAMILY TO EXPERIENCE THE NATURAL WORLD
McDowell Environmental Center and The Farm School announce a new way to safely get away during COVID-19. McDowell “Family Field Trips” are an educational and relaxing three-day experience of exploration.
At McDowell, we believe that experiential education, through inquiry and self-discovery leaves long-lasting impressions and a deeper understanding of the world around you and yourself. Bring your family for this very personalized field trip.
Experience 18 hours of hands-on classes over three days including:
- Raptor Program: Meet our birds of prey!
- A Taste of the Farm: Interact with our goats, chickens, and pigs, then harvest and enjoy farm-fresh food.
- Nature Hikes: Explore some of our 1400+ acres of canyons,
streams and sandstone formations with specific topics
- Canoeing on the Lake or Creek
Guests will have three options for lodging which will affect the price.
Three day-two night visit (this includes 7 meals, 2 nights lodging, 18 hours of programming)
Program Cost and Meals: $150.00
Clear Creek Cabins- For the rustic "camp" experience, guests bring their own linens. Non-air Conditioned.
Lodging for two nights: $40.00/person
Bethany Village Cabins- For the "camp" experience, guests bring their own linens. Air Conditioned.
Lodging for two nights: $45.00/per person
Hotel Style- Designed for comfort and privacy, these rooms have two queen beds and a private restroom.
Lodging for two nights: $320.00/room (up to 4 people/room)
View more details and pictures of lodging options: https://campmcdowell.org/overnight-accommodations
** Ages 2 and under are free**
Guided Canoe: $30.00/Family
Stay Connected During this Time - McDowell Educational Videos
- We are missing you at Camp McDowell and want to stay connected. Visit our YouTube Channel to see our educational series.
- Bring your curiosity and share with your friends!
McDowell Farm School Overview
“The soil is the great connector of lives, the source and destination of all." -Wendell Berry, The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture.
Our mission is to inspire curiosity, teach problem-solving, and empower community connections through sustainable agriculture.
- The McDowell Farm School engages student curiosity and lays a strong foundation for meaningful inquiry based learning. Instructors encourage careful observation that leads to evidence based problem solving. We do not ask students what they want to be when they grow up, we ask them what problems they want to solve and teach them the skills they need for their future!
- Each day on the farm, students apply classroom concepts to the natural world. They are excited to learn during our multi-day, overnight program that gives students a unique opportunity to experience the Farm School as a community. Students share living and dining spaces, complete projects as a team, and are asked to support one another through new challenges.
- Focusing on where our food comes from, our standards-based curriculum is centered around all types of learners and differentiated for grades k-12. Our classroom extends beyond the walls of our teaching kitchen, beyond our 40 acres of gardens and barns, and even beyond the 1140 acres of forests, streams, and canyons of McDowell. We turn the world into our classroom and our place of discovery.
We invite you to explore the links above to learn more about our unique program.
Caring, professional instructors, each with a bachelor's degree and diverse background of knowledge and experience, lead all classes. Farm crews are organized with a maximum student to instructor ratio of 12:1, creating a strong environment for learning, questioning, discussion and understanding. A great farm experience can be life-changing; it forms the way young learners understand the world we inhabit and our place within it.
"This place is amazing!!!! The kids are working hard, but having fun doing it and learning some many wonderful things & they don't even realize it. The instructors are energetic, supportive, engaging, & really love what they are doing!!! The facilities are wonderful!!! I could go on & on, highly recommend McDowell Farm School." -Jennifer Pouncy Pannell, Facebook Review